Sunday, April 6, 2008

Tha Rooooo -ts



So, yesterday was a pretty great day because I got to see the legendary Roots crew live at UT. These guys are pretty much the quintessential live hip-hop band. Everything they do has soo much feeling and funk, it's impossible not to rock along. I had a perfect view from the side of the stage(props MEC), and if you saw that dude grooving the whole concert, that was me. 

The Roots have added a tuba player to the band recently, who they have named Tuba Gooding Jr.(lol). This dude is baaaaaad. If he's not rocking the entire stage, he's dancing like a mad man all over the place. So much infectious energy.

Of course, however, my favorite part of the show had to be watching the man, the myth, the 
legend, ?uestlove. If you didn't know, ?uestlove is basically my idol and if I could do everything musically that he does, I would. He's not the flashiest dude in the world, but his backbeat is just sooo mean and solid. Dayum. I also had the very fortunate opportunity to chat with ?uest backstage after the show(props MEC once again). This was probably the most nervous I have ever been in my life, I was literally shaking in my kicks. I asked ?uest about the new Al Green record that he produced and played drums on and when we could possibly hear a single. Welp, he reached in his pocket, and handed me his promo copy and said "Early Xmas." WOW! This CD doesn't come out til May 27 and I have ?uestlove's official copy. Ummm, pinch me now. The guy is probably the coolest cat around. He will get my support in every way from here on out.

So, with that being said, I am suggesting you listen to the Roots latest album, Game Theory. It has a darker feel to it than the older records, but it has some HOT tracks. Black Thought(MC) seems to just get better and better with each album.

The best track by far is entitled "Long Time." The song is about the Roots' hometown of Philly and is just super sick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwb7t9X8pjM

Please, please, please check out the Roots. They on fire.
Until Whenever,
BD

1 comment:

Heckers said...

Damn, Bryson, wish I could have been there too... ?uestlove lays it down SOLID! I love the ROOTS!